Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Home Stretch

Yesterday afternoon, I left work 30 minutes early to play Ingress.  I cut my lunch in half to balance things out so I wasn't actually skipping out on any responsibility.

There was to be a meetup, Level 7 pop up farm build and item exchange at Yerba Buena Gardens, just a few blocks from where I work.

I got there around 4:30 and met up with RA8 Balshor.  We waited a few minutes and RA8s rukh and Whiz arrived.  We waited just a few minutes longer and started at the Martin Luther King Memorial fountain and worked our way around the garden.  I was about to claim a portal when SAO, a newer RA claimed and deployed on it.  We tried to locate him but he was elusive.  Oh well.  I still needed a good 155000AP to reach Level 8.  I wasn't getting that far deploying on one portal.  

As we were passing by the MOMA, RA8 gundamxx123 arrived.  He was distraught over the news that fellow agent Andre was "retiring" from the game.  When he found out I was Level 7, he got excited.  After we farmed the Yerba Buena portals, gundamxx123 asked how many points I needed to hit Level 8 and he and Whiz offered to help get me there last night.

We started by farming enemy portals in Golden Gate Park, getting a bunch of low level items that I would then be deploying at the Legion of Honor.  At the Legion of Honor, gundamxx123 and Whiz dropped a bunch of supplies to me and I destroyed and delinked the entire cluster of Enlightened portals, then deployed resonators to fill all of the portals and then linked all of the portals as much as possible.

After spinning a web of links, we headed to the Haight, where I "said hello" to Engine Company 30, the actual home portal of Commie|Banker, DblTapered, SisterWife and ieatlint, four high level Enlightened agents.  I destroyed a bunch of links in the Haight and then we drove back toward Daly City, where gundamxx123 dropped me and Whiz off at the BART station and my night ended.

I played for around five hours, using a borrowed Anker external battery pack for a portion of that time that gundamxx123 lended to me to get me as close to Level 8 as possible.   I accumulated 130000AP throughout the night, the highest total I ever achieved in a given day playing Ingress and I did so mostly in the passenger seat of a car, which left my still healing knee to rest comfortably for the majority of the adventure.

I still needed around 25000AP to reach Level 8 and gave myself the following mission after scouting the Ingress Intel map at work this afternoon.

Operation Surgical Strike:
At 1820hrs, RA7 codename eminus arrived at target location Alpha, a known "Juice Club" gathering place with a large amount of XM energy emanating from a single portal.

Upon Intel investigation and report, Agent eminus discovered a significant presence of portal links and small mind unit fields attached to the Enlightened controlled portal.

The operation involved the deployment of XMP bursters in controlled detonation sequence to destroy the Enlightened resonators, severing the links, destroying the fields and liberating the Shaper controlled mind units within.

As a reward for his success in completing this mission, Agent eminus was awarded 8259AP.

After dinner, my wife drove me to a couple of other locations in the area and I created a field that earned me some more AP.  My overall exploits for the evening are pretty much all captured in the below screenprint.

The one bad thing was when I got greedy and tried to take down the Daly City Post Office on Sullivan.  dalycitysteven was there to deploy as I destroyed so I was unable to take down the links, leaving me just 99% of the way to Level 8, with a little over 7000AP to go to reach my goal.

I've reached the home stretch.  There's no stopping me now.  I just need to find some low level portals in the city tomorrow, farm, destroy and deploy and suddenly I will have reached the upper echelon of Ingress players.

No comments:

Post a Comment